Episode 316: Preparation for reflection and refraction topic
The demonstration of refraction using a ripple tank is tricky, and it is a good idea to practise this.
- know how to justify the law of reflection by a wave diagram
- know how to justify Snell’s law in terms of wave velocities
- be able to perform calculations involving the refractive index
- be able to perform calculations involving critical angle
- know the benefits of fibre optic communication
Students should know:
- the law of reflection
- the law of refraction, or at least have a qualitative knowledge of refraction
Where this leads
This work explains the behaviour of light in terms of waves; this is particularly important as diffraction and interference follow (as the result of superposition of waves).
Download this episode
Episode 316: Preparation for reflection and refraction topic (Word, 42 KB)