Episode 600: Preparation for kinetic theory topic
- appreciate some of the experimental evidence for atoms and their motion
- know how to apply the gas laws
- understand the thermodynamic temperature scale
- know what an ideal gas is, understand how its properties link to the gas laws and the absolute temperature scale, and be able to link absolute temperature with average KE per molecule
- know that the energy in a gas is not uniformly distributed among its particles and be able to make calculations using the Boltzmann constant
Students should already know sufficient kinematics and dynamics (including momentum) to be able to derive the ideal gas equation if this section is to be proved formally in your specification.
Where this leads
These episodes end with a consideration of ways in which energy can be supplied to a substance (by heating or doing work). This can lead on to a consideration of the laws of thermodynamics.
Download this episode
Episode 600: Preparation for kinetic theory topic (Word, 33 KB)