Episode 500: Preparation for quantum physics topic
- know that atoms absorb and emit light as quanta (photons)
- explain how this is used to explain emission spectra
- know how to calculate photon energies
- describe the photoelectric effect, and explain it in terms of photons and electrons
- describe an experiment to determine Planck’s constant using the photoelectric effect
Students should be familiar with the nuclear model of the atom. They should know that metals contain ‘free’ (conduction) electrons.
Where this leads
These episodes (and work on lasers) lead on to general ideas about wave-particle duality.
Download this episode
Episode 500: Preparation for quantum physics topic (Word, 31 KB)